Twickenham Conservatives support business. We appreciate the past few months have been very challenging for local businesses. Whether you have had to close your doors to protect the health of our community, or whether you are one of the many businesses who have been working hard to meet the needs of the community, particularly supporting our elderly, vulnerable and isolating residents, thank you for everything that you do for Twickenham.
As your local team we want to support you as best we can during these difficult times. One of the most important changes made recently had been the Flexible Furlough scheme. This will allow business to open with staff working part time while still receiving government support.
The key details are:
- From 1 July, employers can bring back to work employees that have previously been furloughed for any amount of time and any shift pattern, while still being able to claim the grant for their normal hours not worked.
- When claiming the grant for furloughed hours, employers will need to report and claim for a minimum period of one week.
- The scheme will close to new entrants from 30 June. From this point onwards, employers will only be able to furlough employees that they have furloughed for a full 3 week period prior to 30 June.
- This means that the final date by which an employer can furlough an employee for the first time will be 10 June
- Employers will have until 31 July to make any claims in respect of the period to 30 June.
The government will be publishing further guidance on flexible furloughing on 12 June. In the meantime, more information on the changes from July to October can be found here:
There are also changes to the Self-Employment Income Support Scheme as follows:
- The second grant will be worth 70% of average monthly trading profits, paid out in a single instalment covering three months’ worth of profits, and capped at £6,570 in total.
- Applications for the second grant will open in August.
- Individuals can continue to apply for the first grant until 13 July.
- The eligibility criteria are the same for both the first and second grants.
- An individual does not need to have claimed the first grant to receive the second grant: for example, they may only have been adversely affected by COVID-19 in this later phase.
Again, further guidance will be issued on 12 June. As a final link all the government financial support can be found from this page: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/financial-support-for-businesses-during-coronavirus-covid-19
Jon Slinn (Chair of the TCA) has an active interest in supporting local business having built and run startups himself over many years.
Geoffrey Samuel is Councillor for Hampton North and is actively involved in supporting business in the council
Please contact us through the link below if you face any challenges locally in restarting. We will do all we can to help.